Diversity & Inclusion
The Role of Employees
What is the Role of Employees?
Diversity & inclusion is a team effort
员工需要清楚地了解多元化目标 & 有远见和包容的心态去学习 & practice inclusive behaviors.
Employees who feel they can be their authentic selves at work are nearly 3 times more likely to say they’re proud to work for their company.
Employees who feel they can be their authentic selves at work are 4 times more likely to say they are empowered to perform their best work.
How to engage employees
Sport & hobby related groups
Weekly team meetings
庆祝这个月，该组织被全国认可- e.g. 黑人历史月(2月)，女性历史月(3月)，等等.
The best way to develop an inclusive workplace environment is to leverage employee resource groups (ERGs). ERGs are employee-led groups that are formed based on specific traits that group members possess. 它们可能是由种族等因素形成的, gender, religion, sexual orientation, 或者其他共同特征. Teach For All is a company that has mastered the art of creating a successful and thriving ERG. Here are some best practices for ERGs to bring employees together with a spirit of inclusion:
- Equal sharing of opinions
- Engaging allies
“Leaders must intentionally create an environment where employees feel they can safely express themselves and where specific concerns can be raised with transparency and confidence.”
- Leadership buy-in. 你不需要从领导那里得到支持才能前进, but it will make it easier to implement a new ERG and increase that organization’s effectiveness. It’s best if the group has an executive sponsor to advocate for them at the leadership level.
- 评估公司需求并设定目标. 在得到领导层的认可后，有必要决定需要哪些ERGs. 一旦你决定了你需要什么, 是时候决定你希望ERG能取得什么成果了. ERG的目标将视公司的目标和需求而定.
- Start small. It is also beneficial to have allies in the group; which are individuals who do not necessarily share the group’s characteristics, 但对团队充满热情, want to learn more, 想要表达他们的支持.
- Advertise the group. Make sure people in your organization know about the ERG and have the opportunity to participate. 这可以通过公司的内部网或内部通信平台来完成.
While strong leadership support is essential to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, 员工的支持也需要保持一个强有力的D&I culture. Employees shape and reinforce the company’s culture through their behaviors and interactions with one another. 如果公司重视以尊严和尊重对待员工, then employees should hold each other accountable for acting in accordance with those values. Clean Talk is a program that provides a communication framework to help employees and leaders discuss sensitive topics in a constructive way that promotes honesty and integrity while resolving conflict.
For example, say an employee works for a company that is committed to providing a workplace that is inclusive and free of insensitive or offensive behaviors. 如果这个员工听到某人发表了不顾及文化的评论, he/she would feel an obligation to address it because their company does not tolerate that behavior. The employee could use the Clean Talk program for guidance on how to approach the conversation with the person who made the insensitive comment. This provides an opportunity for the employees to potentially resolve the issue and reach mutually agreed upon expectations for behavior in the future, 而不需要升级到管理层. This method gives employees, as well as leaders, ownership in fostering an inclusive environment that values diversity and treating others with respect.
- Know the diversity goals and vision of your organization and its connection to the overall business objectives.
- Participate in employee engagement surveys and respond as openly and honestly as possible.
- 积极参与多样性的努力. 您可以参与或启动员工资源组, or volunteer to chair or serve on committees that organize diversity-related events and activities.
- Become culturally competent. 花点时间去了解不同的文化, races, religions, 以及你的同事代表的背景.
- Treat people in a way they wish to be treated rather than the way you wish to be treated. Do not tell offensive jokes that may alienate those who are different from you — even if they are not present at the time. 最重要的是，始终保持尊重. 在组织中推动积极的变革. 成为多元化问题的代言人，这些问题不一定是你自己的.
- 了解你个人给公司带来的多样性因素. 多样性不仅仅体现在文化的形式上, race, 还有性别，还包括社会经济背景等因素, education level, geographic location, sexual orientation, thought, and many others.
- Communicate and educate. 多元化的工作是一段旅程，而不是目的地.
Measures of Success
- Employee Survey
- Diverse hiring panels
- Decrease in the number of D&I complaints
Success will be based on the overall goal – if your goal was to increase representation of women, 那么你衡量成功的标准就会很清楚了. Or maybe it is about retaining talent, so the program needed will be a retention program.
ERGs努力测量和跟踪结果. 威廉威廉希尔指数都听说过关键绩效指标(kpi)这个术语. A KPI is a measurable value that shows how effectively a company is achieving key business objectives. 一个好的KPI应该起到指南针的作用, helping you and your team understand whether you’re taking the right path toward your strategic goals.
To be effective, a KPI must:
- Career Advancement: ERGs should identify members who have advanced their careers as a direct result of an ERG program and initiative support and submit a minimum of three success stories per year to the D&I office.
- Personal Development: Number of attendees attending developmental events provided by your ERG over the total number of ERG members.
- Professional Development: Number of attendees attending professional growth events provided by your ERG over the total number of ERG members.
- 会员参与百分比:ERG活跃会员/ ERG总会员x 100， %
- 如何定义一个ERG活跃成员与一个ERG成员? You can define this threshold, as an example — let’s say an active member is considered someone who attends 3+ events per year or it’s someone who has responsibilities for an event. ERG成员可以是邮件列表中注册的任何人. 看看你现在所处的位置，为你想要达到的目标设定一个目标.
- 员工流动率(ETR):在到达您的ETR之前, 你需要确认你的ERG成员, and active ERG members. Then take the number of ERG members who have departed the company and divide it by the average number of employees. 如果你的ERG中ETR很高, 花些时间检查你的发展和参与机会.
- Employee Satisfaction: Happy employees are going to work harder — it’s as simple as that. Measuring your employee satisfaction through surveys and other metrics is vital to your ERG and organizational health.
文化转型与为组织定义新战略没什么不同. 这两者都必须在公司内部公开讨论和理解. Leaders must understand how the new culture aligns with market and business conditions. 因为文化是一个有点模糊和抽象的主题, it’s important to use real, concrete business challenges and opportunities to help people better understand and connect to the need for change.
Employees shape and reinforce the company’s culture through their behaviors and interactions with one another. 如果公司重视以尊严和尊重对待员工, then employees should hold each other accountable for acting in accordance with those values.